1. Sound Belief - Belief in Allah and in His perfect attributes would deeply influence the Muslim’s character and his whole outlook on life. It brings him to acquire good qualities and aim for human perfection. This will undoubtedly achieve, for both the individual and the society, a life of ideal values and collective happiness.
2. Worship and Devotion to Allah
“Not for (idle) sport did We create the heavens and the earth and all that is between” [Noble Qur’an, Surah Al-Anbiya’, 21:16]
So creation is not for idle sport or play, Allah has a serious purpose behind it. What is it? Allah has revealed to us His purpose:
“I have only created Jinns (i.e., genies) and men, that they may serve Me!” [Noble Qur’an, Surah Adh-Dhariyat, 51:56]
Obedience and worship of Allah are a major and comprehensive source of contentment and happiness for man. On the personal level, it gives man the feeling that he is close to Allah and such nearness to his Lord, consequently, provides him with guidance, wisdom, strength, confidence, steadfastness, security, joy and satisfaction. The Prophet (Peace be upon him) said:
“Happiness, all happiness, is long life (full) of obedience to Allah.” [Quda’i and Daylami]
3. Goodness and Kindness to Others - This emanates from the very essence of faith.
Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) said:
“All creatures are dependants of Allah, and the most favored among them by Allah is the one who is most helpful to His dependants.” [Reported by Tabarani, Abu Na’im and Bayhaqi]
Thus, active faith turns man into a mercy to himself and to others.
4. Renunciation of Too Long Term Hopes and Grieves of the Past - hanging onto a past that cannot be returned and aspiring to a future that may not come only leads to discontentment. Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said,
“Whosoever begins the day feeling family security and good health; and possessing provision for his day is as though he possessed the whole world.” [Reported by At-Tirmidhi].
Being content with what we have today, embarking on utilizing the day that we have and being grateful to Allah, all these are lead to happiness.
5. In times of discontentment - the Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him ) in the following words:
“Look at those inferior to you, and do not look at those superior to you. Thereby, you would be able to appreciate better the benevolence of Allah bestowed upon you.” [Reportedb by Bukhari and Muslim] gives us the best advice for these times.
6. Building of better understanding - seeking knowledge of Islam and removing misconceptions and superstitions deliver man from ignorance, illusions, and baseless worries that spoil his tranquility and happiness.
7. One important step on the way to happiness is - to work towards harmony within oneself and with the outward world: in the family, at school, in the office, in society and more generally, in humanity. The Prophet (peace be upon him) advised us that there is a time for this and a time for that and that we are a people of moderation.
8. Access to happiness can also be obtained - by making every aspect of your life lawful. Eat what is lawful, make your home, and work environment lawful.
“Eat of the things which Allah hath provided for you, lawful and good; but fear Allah, in Whom you believe.” [Noble Qur’an, Surah Al-Ma'idah, 5:88]
9. Stability of the human Personality - Be moderate in all that you do,
“And those, who, when they spend, are neither extravagant nor niggardly, but hold a medium (way) between those (extremes).” [Noble Qur’an, Surah Al-Furqan, 25:67]
10. Repentance purifies - rectify your mistakes with repentance rather than dwell on them and feel badly:
“O ye Believers! Turn ye all together toward Allah, that ye may attain Bliss.” [Noble Qur’an, Surah An-Nur, 24:31]
11. Learning and Pursuit - Prophet Muhammad (Peace and blessing be upon him) stressed the importance of the pursuit of knowledge as a way to eternal happiness.
“If a person follows a path for acquiring knowledge Allah will make easy the passage to paradise for him” [Reported by Muslim]
Pursuit of knowledge provides man with a feeling of enjoyment and pleasure If man enjoys having delicious meals for his body, he would also enjoy more delicious meals (of knowledge) for his mind and soul.
12. To form a happy social life - Choosing spouse, friends and companions wisely.
13. Strong will - Ability to persist through the challenges and hurdles of life.
One of the best ways to have a good life is strong Iman and good deeds, Allah the Most High said:
“Whoever works righteousness, man or woman, and is true believer, verily to him will We give a life that is good and pure, and We will bestow on such their reward according to the best of their actions.” [Noble Qur’an, Surah An-Nahl, 16:94]
This is because true believers in Allah, who have sound belief that gives rise to righteous deeds, and mends the heart and corrects the human behavior, and makes good both this world and the Hereafter. These people know how to deal with situations of happiness and joy and situations of anxiety, sorrow, and grief.
Please write: COMMENT in this box to verify that you are human